Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chocolate Milk On the Go!

I'm sure any reader with kids already figured this out, but I just want to share a little something that I discovered this season:  Horizons Organic Chocolate Milk Boxes!  It's amazing.

Before this season I struggled to find the right recovery food so I ended up not having one.   For the non-endurance readers, it's recommended that after a working out you consume something within 30 minutes of finishing.  This 30 minute window is referred to the glycogen window, a period of time when your body is very receptive to absorbing nutrients to replace the nutrients and liquids just used, and to help repair your muscles.  During this period, your body most readily absorbs the nutrients and and gets glycogen back into the muscles at a rate many times higher than normal.  The faster you get glycogen into your muscles and back to normal, the faster they can start repairing themselves.  The faster they are able to repair themselves, the sooner you can do another intense workout.  It is believed that to do this, your body needs carbohydrates and proteins.  There's a ton of research being done to figure out exactly what amounts you need of each, but it's pretty much accepted that you need it!  My nutritionist recommended I get at least 7-10 grams of protein and some "solid carbs in with that".  Since I'm trying to lose weight this season I didn't want something that would be really really high in calories or fat either.So think about that and choose the perfect food or product.  Next think about the fact that I work out at three different gyms, so it can't be something that required a fridge, or a blender, or a lot of work.  It has to be something I can just throw in my bag that's not a lot of fuss.  So I started looking on the market and I realized "Holy cow, this stuff is expensive".  I won't name brands or anything, but I was looking at $2.50-$4.50/per serving.   Plus they were a pain in the behind because they required a blender or a lot of shaking and mixing.

People had mentioned chocolate milk to me but I always dissed it because it required a fridge, or a McDonalds drive.  

Then it happened, I was walking down the Well, then I ran into the juice box section at the local grocer and found the Horizon's Organic Chocolate Milk.  They are amazing.  i now just throw a box of em in the back of my car and leave some at my desk.  I don't have to refrigerate them or anything.  Whenever I am leaving masters I grab one and start drinking it before I even start my engine.  Not having to mix a thing or keep it refrigerated means that it's about as no fuss as one can get.  There really is no excuse with this.   Each box is 160 calories, 8 grams of Protein and 27 grams of carbohydrates.  I wish it had a little more protein, but I will take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment