Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bye Bye fresh legs!

Yesterday I went to my group brick workout.  I was on the schedule for a 1:40 bike (it ended up being 1:55) with 30 (3X10 minutes) of running mixed into it.  Just reading a brick workout like that makes me tired.  I'm fine with a 30 minute run off the bike, but 3 X 10 minutes mixed into a bike set just means it's going to hurt.  Anyway, that's not the point of this post

So I'm in the warm up, (15 minutes spinning, 15 minutes of repeated 1 min easy, 1 min medium, 1 min hard), and I'm hitting my first "medium" minute interval and I just can't help but say to  myself, oh back off that just feels so hard right now . . . Wait a minute, I've only been riding for 17 minutes at this point, I haven't even run yet, HOW IN THE WORLD are my legs tired right now.  Oh yeh, I'm training for an Ironman.  

Yes readers, the moment of Ironman training has come, the moment where I realize that there is no such thing as "fresh" legs.  For the non-athlete readers, fresh legs is a term that described when your body, specifically your legs, are not tired, sore or fatigued from other workouts.  It's when the feel full of energy and like you could take on the world.  

Well, considering that most of the race is done when I am fatigued, it makes sense that I should train when my legs are tired, right?  It's now time to learn how to push myself even when my legs tell me they are tired.  It's time to practice performing when I would otherwise take a break and rest! 




No comments:

Post a Comment