Monday, April 4, 2011

What is Race Day About Anyway, a lesson from Heather Dorniden

I recently posted this video of Heather Dorniden on facebook.  I decided to also post it here because I can't stop thinking about it.  I've watched this at least 5-6 times and each time I just can't help but think that this is what racing is about.


THIS, right here, the moment when she got up from falling, and returned to win the race, is what racing is all about.

Wait, really, this is what racing is about? Well, what if I don't fall in the middle of a race?  Did I race the true race?  If I race my whole life and never have a moment like this have I really experienced racing?  The first time I watched this I thought "Wow, now that's a competitor".  I was also jealous that she was able to have the opportunity to come back and win that race.  I was jealous she had a moment that tested her as an athlete.

As I watch this video over and over again, I get goosebumps.  I realize that she did what she did because of what she did before the actual race.   Racing is about putting everything together and not being afraid of the outcome.  Combining desire, a training plan, mental preparation, and a dream and you get A RACE.  

Heather Dorniden has trained for these races.  She has what people refer to as natural talent and she's taken that and combined it with training seriously, putting her heart and soul into running and as a result of it she is a very decorated athlete.  While running at University of Minnesota she was a nine-time all america, competing in every NCAA championship in cross country, indoor track and outdoor track.  She holds nine school records and was a semifinalist at the 2008 U.S Olympic trials in the 800 Meters.  She currently is a professional athlete, racing and training with Team USA Minnesota.  She most recently placed 3rd in the 800 Meters at the USA Indoor Championships. 

She has raced hundreds of races.  In this one, she tripped.  At that moment,  all of her training, her practicing, her desire, the dream, gave her the ability to get up and go.  Now THAT is what racing is about.  Racing is about preparing yourself to be able to take on whatever race day thows at you.  Not every situation on race day is controllable.  Training, preparation, determination, dreams, and practice is what racing is about.  Most of the time, if we've done those things, race day goes smoothly, no trips, no crashes, no major hiccups, no drama.  But every once in a while, something that we have no control over, something we had seen happen to other athletes but never thought would happen to us actually happens.  At that moment we must rely on the culmination of the dream, the determination, the training and the mental preparation to get us through the race.     






No comments:

Post a Comment