Thursday, April 7, 2011

No Talking

Last weekend I was on computrainer at Wellfit with 15 other athletes doing a 2:10 minute ride.  We were past the warm up and in the main set.   I was in the zone, you know, the feeling where you're focused and your in a good pace.  Next thing I know the girl next to me starts talking to me.  I don't even remember about what.  She asked me something.  I responded with a short BS answer, hoping I could quickly just get back to my zone.  Then another question came, and another and as she's asking me these questions, trying to have a convo I can feel my zone just slipping through the cracks.  I'm thinking in my head, doesn't this girl see that i'm trying to focus on the watts, my cadence and my heart rate and between those three things there is no room for a converation?

Then Tuesday night's group rolled around.  I started a little earlier than the group in an effort to get home earlier. So I expected to be a little interrupted by noise while I was doing the main set.   Well, the warm up is over, I'm 20 minutes into the whole thing and next thing I know someone actually sits next to me and tries to start a conversation with me.  Was so shocking about this is incident is that I have sweat coming down my forehead in buckets, i'm bright read (it was a really hard power set) and I look like I could throw up.  Physically I didn't look like I was in the mood for a convo.  I was in the opposite mood for a convo in fact.  

I used to be able to talk during workouts but something has changed in me.  I like everyone in the group.  They are all cool people (despite me bi*&%ing about them talking to me at practice and my opinions of how they alter workouts).  I really do, It's just when I'm on my bike, i'm focusing on the goal.  I just need workouts to be about working out right now.  Let's save the socializing for the the bar afterward.  

So please don't take it personally if I don't engage in a conversation with you.  I want to talk to you but no till we're done with the set.    

No comments:

Post a Comment