Saturday, January 8, 2011

TTT

This week I signed up for the American Triple T Ohio.  Now, for those of you who don't know what the triple T is, it's a three day event consisting of four races:  A super sprint, two olympic distances triathlons and a half ironman distance race.  It's a great deal, 4 races for $200 (FYI, 70.3 series races start around $225), but it's also somewhat crazy.  I wasn't planning on doing this race this year.  The only thing I can say is that I always thought about doing it, I even said I would do it someday. I was shocked at the deal.  In fact, Paul and I were having friends over for New Years Day brunch and I actually interrupted the conversation to say what  great deal it was.  I mean come on, four races for $200, that is a phenomenal deal.  


When I brought this up I noticed that I caught a certain friend's attention.  This friend (Ross) raced Ironman Wisconsin with me.  He didn't sign up for IM this year and it's obvious that at this point of the season he misses the IM goal.  When I asked if he wanted to sign up he said he would think about it.  I didn't pressure.  I just moved on.


So fast forward to Wednesday morning.  I'm thinking about Ross, wondering if he had decided.  I had not really thought I would sign up for the race.  It's 7 hours away and I don't want to travel that far if I don't know anyone.  Plus I'm already scheduled to race that weekend (Galena) I emailed him and here's a paraphrasing of the conversation:


Tory:  Are you doing the Ohio Triple T?  
Ross:  If you are confirmed ttt then I will do it
Tory:  Let me check with my coach.  
Tory:  Elf is cool with it, I'm in.  
Ross:  I have 4 minutes before I have to pick up the kids.  I'm signing up now.   


So the next day I received this message:  


Ross:  Getting a bit...'what the f* did I just sign up for' given all the hellish comments on FB.  Oh well, it's gonna be legend...wait for it...ary (to quote the great Barney Stinson)


Well, so now I'm going to admit that I'm afraid for the TTT.  I'm not afraid of the Ironman but I'm afraid of the TTT.  I have to do the Iron distance over 48 hours, when I'm still four months away from the Ironman race.  In addition, I'm not training specifically to peak at this race.  That means it will be painful, Wait, very painful at points during that weekend.  I know that.  I will have barely cycled outside, I will have little open water swimming practice.   Ross, it will be legendary.  Let's just hope it's legendary for the right reasons.  





1 comment:

  1. You and your deals! If an ultra marathon was only $25 would you sign up? I think you might!

    ReplyDelete