Monday, January 24, 2011

My walking shoes are better than yours

I race people to and from the train in the morning on my way to work.  Yeah I do. When I'm getting off the train I can usually pick out someone who is slightly more antsy to get to their office building than I am.   The race starts when I pick em out.  I make sure to make eye contact with em.  It's usually as I'm making an early pass.  I give them the "yeah, you just got passed" look that let's them know that it's GAME ON.  The race is just as much about defense as it is about offense.  It's important to keep a good pace while also being cognizant of the slower walkers around me that can be critical to my success.  My favorite move is the block.   A block is when I slowly get my competitor walking against the wall and then I use the slower walker in front of them (that is also up against the wall) to help block them in as I walk slightly next to them, while ever so slightly ahead of them.  As long as I keep well paced with the slower walker in front of them, the only way they can get out of it is to slow down a lot and go around.  This move takes a lot of time and when I notice they are doing it I can usually just take off, maintaining my lead.  Another one of my favorite moves is the bag block.  When I'm in the lead and I can feel my competitor directly behind me I will hold my bag instead of putting it on my shoulder.  Then I can take up more room and block the passing window of my competitor.  Since train racing is a non - contact sport it's a nice move because I know my competitor would never ever have the guts to come in contact with my bag.

Yeah, so did I mention that I'm a competitive person?

1 comment:

  1. I do the same exact thing - perhaps we will one day meet on the mean streets of Chicago - WATCH OUT!

    ReplyDelete