Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Rest/Test Week #1.

Two days ago I completed my rest/test week.  These are my favorite weeks.  The first of many that I will go through on my path to becoming iron (again). 

To give you some background to understand rest/test week I should explain that my training is completed in 21 day/3 week increments followed by a one week period of rest. Each three week block has a specific purpose that will build me to race day.  Sometimes they are built around developing and practicing form and technique.  Other blocks are about strength or endurance.  During this period of rest (7 days) the intensity and amount of time I train drops significantly.  These rest weeks are crucial to my physical and mental health and also toward developing the muscle I need to To build muscle and endurance it is crucial to have rest week.  My coach once explained (i'm paraphrasing this because it was said a year ago) that you could ride your bike every day in a row but you would never become stronger.  Strength comes from rest.  When you workout you break your muscles down.  Recovery let's them fix themselves again and when you do build themselves to be stronger.  I truly believe this.  I believe it is also important mentally to rest.  Right now I'm not as drained but come June, rest week will be my time to catch up with friends, sleep, my boyfriend, my favorite TV shows and couch time.   I will write specifically focused on rest and recovery.   This rest week was also combined with TEST WEEK!!!!!  I LOVE test week.  It's an opportunity for me to see the fruits of my labor.  

So here's what test week is.  Every other training block rest week is combined with a test week. This years first test/rest week fell on week 4.  Doing it this early allows us to get a good baseline.   I will test again on week 12 (April), then again on week 20 (June).  Test week means that in addition to dropping the number of hours spend training, we complete the following tests:

Bike Test: 20 minutes on the bike going as hard as you can.  At the end collect the following data:
- Average Watts
- Average HR
- Max HR
- HR 1 minute after the test is complete

Run Test:  20 Minutes on the treadmill (set at 1% incline) as hard as you can go
- Average miles/hour

- Average HR
- Max HR
- HR 1 minute after the test is complete

Swim Test:  10 X 100 with 20 seconds rest in between
- Average time for each 100

The tests I just laid out are HARD.  I don't really focus on my HR data during these tests.  My coach just needs this to determine my HR zones for training.  The hard part comes when you look at your average miles per hour, watts and time for each 100.   There are moments where I do truly believe that each of these activities (individually) are harder than the Ironman itself.  It's when I enter into the pain cave.  Yes, the whole thing is about PAIN.  And in order for me to to my best on this test I have to find the pain and just sit inside of it and try not to let it slow me down.  I can't listen to my body telling me it hurts.  I have to listen to my heart telling me that I am amazing and will not hold my self back from being my best.  

The results of test week can be interesting.  Sometimes it shows you that you're out of shape.  Sometimes it's the right kind of reality to get you to take your training more seriously.  Other times it's the proof that you've done your job, or it's the positive reinforcement to keep you motivated and a reminder to continue to trust your coach.   This time around it was the positive reinforcement I needed.  I have not done these tests since last year during IM training.  Since Ironman 2010 I took a month off and then did a off season triathlon training group that included cycling, running, strength and masters swimming.  I'm proud to say that this years test showed that I am faster in each discipline!  Yes test PR's across the board!  I'm happy about this.  I've put some a lot of time into the off season to become stronger.  Being stronger allows me to be better at these tests.   I'm under an 8 minute mile average.  And my swim test was the best yet (I'm still not close to my Swimming times from HS but oh well).   I've been working with a masters swim team and it shows in my times.  During the bike test I was able to hold a record of 213 watts, last year my best test was a 204.  

So yeh, it feels good.  So good that I'm pumped for this next training block that started yesterday!  20 more days till I get to rest again!.  

  





2 comments:

  1. Let me try to post this comment again...... I am SO impressed that you pushed out 213 watts. With that kind of power, you can deliver twins without any pain medication (should you ever get to that point in your life)! Under 8 minute miles? Who are you? I only dream about these kinds of results. Very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Tory, that's awesome! I am enjoying reading your blog, I can totally relate :)

    ReplyDelete