Thursday, March 3, 2011

For once the situation called for some brattitude.

So last weekend I went to the local Chicago park district pool to do my swim test.  So if you take out the time I spent waiting for Dirty to get there to help time my test and count my strokes, I was in the pool for 60 minutes.  My swim test didn't need to take me that long to do.  With the warm up involved it should have take me 35 minutes instead of 60.  Much of my time was spent bouncing around lanes trying to find a swimming situation where I could split the lane with someone else.  The other option to sharing a lane is to swim in a cirlce. This makes sense when you have more than two swimmer in a lane.  On days where I'm just doing a workout I don't mind swimming in a circle.   If I have to let someone pass me, or slow down to sit on someone's feet for 3/4 of a lane becuase I need to pass them, I'm fine with it.  I don't take every swim workout that seriously.  I save the serious swim workouts for Masters practice.  I just needed 1/2 of a lane for 17 minutes to do the 10 x 100 with 20 seconds rest.    Maybe I'm the one that wasn't playing by the rules, but in my mind 4 people (women swimmers in particular) were not playing by the rules.  On 4 seperate occcasions swimmers came into my lane, becoming the third swimmer.  Now, I know what you are thinking . . . every lane was probably full with at least two swimmers so they had to come in my lane and I should shut up and get used to sharing.  Well, let me now tell you that each time a 3rd swimmer joined my lane there were at least TWO lanes with only one person in them swimming.  As a result, I would stop and bounce over to the other lane and this was just for the warm up.   When I was ready to do my test set I waited around for 20 minutes for a lane (and for the swim time

So yes, I think this situation deserves some brattitude.  Why on earth would you get into a lane that is already full when there are two other lanes that only have one swimmer.  So yes, I gave a couple of dirty looks in the locker room when lap swimming had closed.  They deserved it. 

2 comments:

  1. Here's what I want to know. Why did you get a 20 second rest for your 10x100 rest? Some people I know only got 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, make yourself a cup of coffee and a cinnamon roll with 20 second rest.

    ReplyDelete