Tuesday, February 1, 2011

and HELLO February

February has definitely decided to make come in with a bang!!!!  Over the next 24 hours Chicago (and  many other Midwest and New England States) is expected to get 15-24 inches of snow.  Maybe I shouldn't have been quite so critical of January, or vocal about my dislike.  I mean, to be quite honest, Chitown hasn't had that much snow this year. We've been rather lucky in that perspective.  In fact as of now, the Northeast has been getting hit the hardest.   They have had back to back to back major snow storms since the last week of December.  I'm super excited for this storm. I just want to sit in my apartment and watch the snow fall.  I don't think I will get a snow day from work.  Everyone in my office claims that my company has never shut down the office.  Chicago isn't a city that closes.  In fact, the Chicago Public School has not declared a snow day since 1999.  Yesterday Mayor Daley was asked about how the city would respond to a blizzard given the budget conditions, he responded with ''It always snows in Chicago".   Wow, aren't we the cocky Mayor!  I've lived here 2 1/2 years and this is the biggest storm threat I've experienced thus far.  Chicago, are you as hard knock about the winter as you claim to be?  The next 24 hours will be the test!


Earlier today my coach emailed me announcing that my Tuesday night coached workout was cancelled.  I completely understand why it was cancelled.  My coach drives in from a suburb about 20 minutes outside the city (with no traffic).   If I were her, I would have cancelled class simply because with all the hooplah right now about the storm, traffic will be ridiculous no matter what.

Since my bike is at my triathlon gym (I store it there since I can't ride it outside anyway), I did brick workout with the help of a spinning bike at my work gym.  I'm lucky, I belong to a gym that is in the same building as my office.  I really look forward to my coached workouts.  It's fun to see my coach and all the other athletes.  We're all grinding through the pain together and the adrenaline gets pumping.  Plus I just like seeing everyone.  So of course doing the workout at the gym made nearly not as much fun as I had hoped.  It was a lot of one legged drills.  They are annoying enough to do on a regular bike, let alone the spinning bike at the office gym.  Plus, I never feel like the spinning bike just feels funny.  But I guess it's better than skipping the workout :)

No comments:

Post a Comment