Tuesday, November 29, 2011

One of those runs

I finally had one of those runs that makes you feel like you are on the edge of greatness, the run that makes you feel like you are invincible and nothing can touch you and you are on top of the world. 

It happened on Thanksgiving day.  Surprsingly enough, I had been a litle hungover from the night before.  Wendesday we flew to Albany, NY to Monkey's parents.  His entire mother's side of the family gets together for "Stoutenberg Family Thanksgiving".  The events started with the "Travelers Buffet" on Wednesday night which was a wonderful lasagna dinner and drinks and then Thursday the family went on a hike in the morning and then the Thanksgiving celebration started in the afternoon which includes the thanksgiving play, a singing of Over the River and Through the Woods, Charades and the face game.  Last year was my first year coming to Thanksgiving with Monkey. I was beyond impressed with his family's traditions.   In fact last year I was almost in shell shock at how awesome they were.  But I was also cought a little off guard, I didn't arrive ready to go. 

Well, this year I knew what I was in for, so I came with my game face.  I'm sure you are wondering what this has to do with my run.  Well, after waking up on Thursday with a hang over from the night before (Yes, I drank over thanksgiving, In fact I took a slight deviation from my nutrition plan but that's a different blog) I spent much of the morning hanging around.  My 1:00 my hangover was just about gone.  The headache was gone at least which had been making me go crazy.   I decided a run was necessary given my caloric consumption the night before and the fact that I would be enjoying my share of stuffing.  I also thought a run would give my time to get ready for the family games where I needed to be ready with my game face on.  I started out with my garmin just thinking I would do 3 miles.   After a couple minutes I noticed how good the cool crisp air felt, especially running in it.   After that, it's all a blur.  I remember running past a few people and giving a nod.  I was just in a zone.  I didn't say hello.  I just remember feeling like I was flying, feeling like I had tons of energy and my legs were just pushing me forward without any effort.  For a while I didn't even listen to my music, I just listened to my breathing.  And I did tell myself I was so thankful to be able to run and do physical activities (something I am thankful for all the time).  I wasn't out of breath at any point, I just felt like I was running effortlessly.  It was easy. 

I looked down at my garmin and I had gone 2 miles out, so I turned around and headed back home the difrection I had come.  The neighborhood I as in is windy with lots of side streets that lead you know where and it's easy to get lost.  I didn't want to do to many turns and get myself lots.  I got back home and looked at my watch and I had averaged a 8:57 min/mile.  Not bad for someone who hasn't been running in a while.  I know it's not my best time every, but considering I just started running a week and a half ago, I was pretty happy with it.  I know that some of my faster more elite running friends are probably reading this thinking that I'm slow, and they are right.  I am slow.  But I'm getting faster.  Two months ago when I was 30 lbs heavier I wasn't able to run that pace without my heart going out of control.  I wasn't able to run that and have fun.  

This run, is the reason why I love running.  No one can take that feeling away from you.

1 comment: