Monday, June 6, 2011

Uddererly a Temper Tantrum

Yesterday I did the Udder Century ride (75 mile route).  I love this ride.  It starts at the Donely's Wild West Town in Union, IL with a route that leads you through the cow pastures and farms of north east Illinois.  I always enjoy this ride, the race organizers do a great job stocking the rest stops, the riders are cool and then there is an awesome pasta dinner afterward.  Cindy met at my place at 5:15, we loaded the car up and then hit

When we started the ride it was nice and cloudy.  Shortly after starting I saw two VQ girls (Lynn and Ann) who I met while racing Triple-T. Lynn was actually the person that got me to start running during the half marathon on Sunday.  She's very encouraging and very positive. Cindy and I decided to latch onto there back wheel and ride with them.  It was good for me because they pushed me to hold a pretty fast pace (for me).  We were riding just above 20 mph which is nice and fast for me.  It was pretty fun to ride in a group of 4 ladies and fly by some of the men out there. After 46 miles I couldn't keep up with the rest of the group so I fell off by myself.  I wish I was fast enough to keep up with Lynn and Ann. They are both fun and keep me on my feet.  By this point it had gotten warm out there and I realized that I had only finished a bottle and a half of water.  Not good.  I get to the next rest stop at mile 56 and I try to drink a lot of water but it's hard at that point.  I was struggling with some balance but I thought my legs were just tired.

When I got back on my bike I was with a different group of friends and I quickly fell behind.  The wind had really picked up and I knew I had 22 miles back to my car which had my running shoes waiting for me for a 30 minute run that was on the schedule for after this ride.  I had dug myself into a hole with my nutrition and I was struggling to get out of it.  I felt like i was drinking as much as I physically could to keep riding.  It also felt like every turn I took I was going straight into the wind or it was coming at a diagonal into me.  Then it happened, some point around mile 67-66.  I made a turn and the wind hit me and I was done.  I stopped and got off my bike and just stood there.  Then I screamed.  For a minute I decided I was just done riding and I would just sit there.  I knew (from experience) that my friend Jeff was ahead of me and he would eventually come looking for me if I didn't show up. He's the dad of the group. I figured it would take him about an hour for him to realize I hadn't arrived at the finish and come pick me up.  Was it worth it?  Waiting on the side of the road for an hour?  The answer was no,  I had 10 miles to go (she ride advertised 75 miles but the cue sheet had 78) and I could get that done in an hour even if I just peddled really slowly.  I picked up maryK (she forgives me pretty easily) and started peddling.  Then I hit mile 79 and everything was ok again.   Something about mentally knowing I had less than 10 miles just helped change attitude.  I was actually smiling at some points and cheered on some of the other cyclists in the last few miles.

When I got back to the car I was still nauseous.  Cindy was waiting to run with me.  I told her to go ahead and that I was done for the day.  A minute later she was still standing there (almost like a dog with droopy eyes waiting to be walked) so I told her I would do 15 minutes.  I filled up a water bottle, got my running shoes on and hit the road.  On the way out we ran into two other Wellfit team members going out for their run so 2 more were added on  We ended up running in the KOA camp grounds which was awesome because it was shaded and gravel roads.  After about 10 minutes of running I decided I would do the whole 30 minutes.  No point in stopping early when everyone else was running the whole thing.  I was also feeling better and the run actually felt good.   I guess this is one of the reasons why I think group training is so important.  Without the others in the group I would have never done that run.

This sounds weird but I think it's good to have training days like this.  I think it teaches you that you can fight through pain and that you will not get up.  It builds confidence and a lot of race day will be KNOWING and BELIEVING that I can get myself to the finish line.





1 comment:

  1. Nice job! There is no "quit" in "Tory" (although there is a T).

    ReplyDelete