Thursday, September 8, 2011

Race Week, Oh Sh&%

It is time, its here. I keep having these “Oh SH%$” moments where I realize I’ve forgotten something. This morning on the way to work I realized I had forgotten my cycling shoes and sunglasses. Smooth move Tory. It’s hard having half my stuff in Chicago and half of it here in Birmingham. I thought I had left my shoes there and then I realized they were here. My mom will bring them up tomorrow when she comes to Madison.


Getting to race day is half the battle of racing. Seriously, right now race day seems easy compared to the amount of crap I have to think about and remember over the next 48 hours.

Readers, I apologize. The truth of the matter is I’m flipping out right now. I’m nervous about forgetting something, not finishing, not getting wheels to the race site, etc. It’s just a lot to think about. I keep telling myself “The hay is in the barn, the hay is in the barn” This just means that I’ve done the work and now it’s just time to execute on it. There’s nothing left that I can do to get myself prepared. At a certain time, you are just ready to go. I’m apologizing because it is really hard to put into words the way I’m feeling and what I’m experiencing. It’s been a whirlwind summer. I’m lucky to have gotten as far as I have. I spent my last summer in Chicago training for this. I also have been managing a move (to the deep south, new job, Monkey starting grad school, all while training for an ironman. There were some workouts that I couldn’t’ get done, at times I didn’t have the mental capacity, at other times I didn’t have the physical capacity. Now I am sitting here with race right in front of me and I’m reflecting on the strength it has taken me to get to where I am. I’m trying to figure out how to use that on race day to keep me moving forward to the finish line. I also find myself getting teary eyed when I reflect on the last year. There’s just been so much and I’m so thankful for everything. Again, this is very hard to put into words.

I also want to apologize for not writing since I moved to Birmingham. Things are different down here. Some of the differences are fun and I’m embracing them, others are not so fun and I make me miss Chicago. The new job is going well and I’m finding myself excited every day for work and to get to the office and start attacking the day. I promise I will write more about this move after Ironman.



I want to thank everyone for their support over the last year of training. I don’t think people realize how important it is to have friends and family that support the ironman goal. Over the last week I have had friends email me telling me they will be on the course cheering me on, I’ve had friends wish me luck and tell me that they will be thinking about me that day, the Facebook messages have been amazing. THANK YOU for this. It really does mean the world to me. I think about those messages while I’m riding a lot. I will remember them on race day and will find strength in them.



Ok, time to go catch a plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment