Monday, December 20, 2010

It's winter . . .

Winter is in full effect here in Chicago.  A few weeks ago I started my pre-season training group. Tuesday nights we meet and do a brick work out (bike/run with some strength training) and Friday morning we swim.  The first week was fun.  Being back on the compu trainer with 15 other athletes grinding through a workout is lots of fun . . . the first few times and then reality sets in.  I'm sitting on my bike, take that back, I'm peddling on my bike, looking around at everyone in the mirrors and then all of a sudden I realized that this view would be the same for the next 4 months (at least).  Grrrrrr.  are you kidding me.  No more flying by fields, no more dealing with the elements out on the road, no more flats, yeh, no more riding outside.  The sadness that comes with this moment.  I'm sorry to complain.  I really am. I understand that I have made a choice to live in Chicago.  And yes I knew before I came here two and a half years ago that I would have to get used to tough winters.  This moment is still very hard for me though.  It's like I've put up a white flag. 

I have mixed feelings about the compu-trainer and gyms in general.  On one hand I love the numbers that I get to see when I'm on the treadmill or the compu-trainer.  It's fun to start thinking about it when I'm running and I can measure myself.  Then again, nothing spells "REALITY CHECK" better than the computer on the treadmill.  It tells me when I've slowed down, it tells me to go faster (you ever tried one of the interval workouts on it), It also tells me I'm cheating (When you take your feet of the belt for more than 20 seconds it threatens to turn off).  It also says "you're faster now" also which is nice.  I also love the fact that my gym workouts are more efficient from a time perspective.  All the equipment is right there and I can move from my bike to an exercise ball in about 5 seconds.

It still sucks though, cause i'm inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment